Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Eye candy

Well after my last brain fart, I thought maybe some images would sooth the mind, so I've uploaded a few of my photos for you to see. Unfortunately, most of my best stuff is on film, and my scanner is packed away. One day... :-)

I don't pretend to be any good at photography, and I don't have very good gear, but I love the feeling I get when I've captured something of the feeling of a place or event in a still - it's very rewarding.
Anyway, here a just a few that I like...








This flower is a Bird of Paradise in Sydney, Australia




This was taken down the river from Fowey in Cornwall, SW England. Such a beautiful place - so tranquil...





...I was there late this summer on a long weekend with my cousin Nicola (pic) and her friends. Such lovely people; none of them knew me but within a couple of hours I felt like part of the crew. Thanks guys xxx






This is the lake in Glomel, France where my Mum & Dad used to live.
Fishing, canoeing... it's so beautiful there; fond memories







This one just makes me melt. It's my friend Simon's new wife Sophie, taken after their wedding in August. They'll thank me for telling you it's a borrowed baby! lol








I particularly like images that, to my mind, illustrate something about life and how we live it.

Animals
I love photographing animals. They have a special kind of nonchalance rarely found in a human subject. They sit there, completely unerred, and unimpressed by the presence of the camera - just being themselves. I think it's my inability to behave naturally in front of the lens that makes this so intriguing to me.














This is a seagull I met in Sydney earlier this year. I was there playing the Sydney Opera House with Vanessa Mae





And here are a couple of wasps taking on water. They mix it with cellulose from chewed wood to build their nest



Macro
The last couple illustrate my love of macro photography, whereby if you get close enough to something you can no longer see what it is.
This premise holds another key to a happy life - objectivity. The ability to stand back and look at the whole of your sitiuation, if only for a second, can help you make sense of what's happening.
It proves that without objectivity things start becoming abstract... that is to say that what you feel or think, can, if you're not careful, end up being based entirely on fiction; stuff you have derived from no verifiable truth; pure assumption; at worst, even your imagination.

[You don't half talk bollocks sometimes Stu! - Ed]

Oh sod off Ed! If that's too deep for ya just look at the pretty pictures ;-)



It's actually a close up of a wicker lamp shade







Well I couldn't find the other macro one I wanted to post, so here's another bug. It's a cranefly, but in England we call it Daddy Longlegs. I believe in America the Daddy Longlegs is something quite different - a spider with a low hanging body - this is an insect...













There. Well hopefully I'll get some sort of prize for posting the most random blog of the day or something! More sense next time I promise.
Meanwhile enjoy the pics and happy blogging!!

Love 'n' light, Stuee xxx
.

11 Comments:

Blogger -G.D. said...

Nice photos and blog. I especially like the bug.

Just passing by.

2:41 am  
Blogger AndyW said...

I'd love to use the wicker lamp shade pic as a background on my computer.
However, the longer I look at it the longer I begin feeling myself falling into a drug induced seizure.

Great pics!
Cheers,
AndyW

5:18 am  
Blogger Model citizen said...

One time, when I was 8, I grabbed the top of a swingset and unfortunately smashed my hand down onto 2 wasps. Seeing that picture brought back a traumatic event.

DAMN IT!

It's ok. I still love you.

12:43 pm  
Blogger Gary said...

Thanks for great images, and great narration, you sure know a lot about photography.

3:51 pm  
Blogger Stuee said...

Cheers -g.d. Thanks for stoppin' by :-)

AndyW - yeah I know what you mean... not that I've ever done any drugs whatsoever!

Jess you're 28, get over it darlin'! ;-) I'm not gonna marry any girl with a waspish neurosis! (hmmm... remembers title of said hotty's blog... oops!) xxx

Not sure about that Gary, these are but a few good shots out of approximately 4 billion crap ones! But thanks for the kind words mate :-)


I love bloggers!! x

4:19 pm  
Blogger Bri said...

Stuee, those are beautiful. The colors just shine. I love the seagull the best; there's an expression on that face!

4:46 pm  
Blogger lryicsgrl said...

Hi Stuee,
Just passing thru. And I fell in love with your pics. This old girl hasn't been to Europe proper yet, just Spain, Africa (Tangers really), and Israel. I've been to every effing caribbean island. Anguilla my personal fav. But since having children, just can't seem to find time or bravery to travel abroad. So thanks for showing me such beautiful places. BTW your cousin looks like me, (from the back anyway) so I'll just pretend it's me (weird huh?) I didn't know Cornwall was so lovely. Oh and those Birds of Paradise, had them in my table settings at my wedding (alright a bit gaudy, but it was the late 80's) You have a keen eye for photography. I have a crap eye.
Bye!
xo
sue (I have a friend from college who refers to me as Sueee) glad that didn't stick...bye again

6:38 pm  
Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

This post really is breataking with each pic! I love the one of Cornwall and France and especially the bride feeding the baby!

What a romantic side you have!

12:01 pm  
Blogger Nabonidus said...

Hi Stuee and everyone,
These colors just POP! Wow!I love the crisp details, too.
I love the Bird of Paradise and the micro photos, I dig micro photography, myself. BTW,Sue(lzygrl),I think Bird of Paradise at your table sounds gorgeous! But maybe I'm a gaudy one, lol.
I set the B. of P. as my wallpaper, with my icons arranged all
around it, sort of like a frame. Looks pretty cool!
Lisa oxo

12:32 am  
Blogger Kara said...

Great Photos :)

12:52 am  
Blogger Stuee said...

Hi Tia,
Wow thanks for saying that, it means a lot.
No I just pootle around with my little digital camera and try to capture stuff.
I used to use an old Olympus OM-10 but film and processing is so expensive!
I've just posted a couple more, thanks to your input xxx
Stuee :-) sMiLe back at ya!

9:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home