Sunday, October 30, 2005

No rest for the wicked!

Well hi all, hope you're having a great weekend.
Last night I played my 6th gig in as many nights, but last night was on drums - my true love and what I'm best at.
It's been a great week, but this job is HARD! Must admit I play harder than I work so it's partly self-inflicted, but after 6 nights it can start to wear even me down.
This week's gigs were mostly with my old friend Chesney Hawkes, in Hanley, Liverpool, Bradford, Leeds, Wigan (northern English towns), and my current home town of Salisbury (nr Stone Henge).
Those stateside may not know who Chesney is, although if you're a Who fan you should. Ches had an international No.1 hit back in 1991 with a song called The One and Only (by Nik Kershaw), which featured in the movie 'Buddy's Song', which starred Roger Daltrey playing his father in the film.
Anyway The One & Only is still a very popular student anthem so we get to do loads of gigs at universities, night clubs, etc. to the student crowds - some of whom were only about 4 yrs of age in 1991! They are not 4 anymore, however, and 2,000 screaming 18-24 yr old girls all dressed in sexy school uniforms (complete with stockings, suspenders, mini-skirts, etc.) is a sight to behold I can tell you!
My nerves are invariably in tatters by the end of the night and I have to go to my hotel room, sit on the bed rocking gently and sucking my thumb.

Here's a pic of me playing at such a show last year (note short hair)...

















Last night's gig was a different story though. It's my friend's dad's band. They are all middle aged guys, called Stiff Joints, and play all kinds of 60's to present day covers. It's all about fun, so there's no pressure at all, we have a great laugh, play some good music and I get to play drums which makes me very happy.

Today is Sunday. On Sunday nights my local pub holds a pub quiz, and us locals take it in turns to be quizmaster. This week it's my turn, so now I must compile my quiz - which means I've got only a couple of hours to think of 40 questions! I usually do a music round too, and some silly things to keep it fun.

Anyway times a tickin' so I'm off!

Keep well you lot, and I hope to be reappearing on 'In the Attic' sometime soon so watch this space!

Love 'n' light, Stuee xx

4 Comments:

Blogger Model citizen said...

Glad you're back. Sounds like you've been busy and loving it. I can't wait to see you again.

1:18 pm  
Blogger Bri said...

Hi Stu--That quizmaster thing sounds just like what they do on "Eastenders," which some of us watch here in the States. I bet it was fun.

Loved your description of the gigs. I can definitely picture you drumming.

My son is a bass player but lately he's taken to being the lead singer in his band, and he fills in on drums when their drummer isn't there.

We've had some very windy, foggy, spooky nights here lately so it should be just right for Halloween tonight.

Great to see a new post from you!

Brina

3:55 pm  
Blogger musicmikey said...

Hey Stuey, that sounds like hell mate, how do you put up with it. Hope you can come on the show really soon, you were great last time, see you soon.
mikey

1:51 am  
Blogger WooleyBugger said...

"Stiff Joints" oh that's a good one there all right. I love it. Wish I'd come up with that one. With a name like that they must be fun to listen to.

2:43 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home